Messy Hair, Don’t Careeeee — !!! + All of my Weird Hair Tips

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and skinny blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and fashion blogger talks healthy hair tips.

A lot of you babes have asked about my hair…

Welp. I’ll let you all in a dirty [ literally ] little secret.

I don’t really wash it.

I know what you’re thinking!!! Ahhh- OMFG- ewwwww, what a sickie!!! But wait! I use tons of dry shampy, so the texture [ for my hair at least ] is wayyyyy better than if I washed on the reg. Oh, & in case you’re wondering: I wash it two times a week.

Anyway here’s a peak inside my hair tricks + tips…

On a lazy day I’ll throw my hair in a ballerina bun or a top knot. Example:

If I don’t have time to blow dry my blonde mop, I’ll allow it to air dry & spray some surf/sea mist in it [ << so much healthier for hair; blow drying is not my fav ]. Example:

Ok now for the product deets.

First off let me introduce you to God’s gift to hair. The “Wet” Brush. If you don’t have one, go run & buy one.

I could literally not do my hair with out this lil’ dime. The metallic blue brush goes right through my hair in one swipe, even if it’s a huge rat’s nest. AND!!! It doesn’t pull my hair out. A real life-changer:

+ Lauryn’s Favie Hair Products:

{ Side note: I like split ends : ))) hippie chic hair is the best. }

1.} Maxi-Hair Vitamin: this supports hair/nail growth. I take one a day.

2.} TRESemmé Dry Shampoo: obviously removes any gross crap/sweat after a workout.

3.} Moroccanoil: this scent is amaze! I use a dab of this when I get out of the shower & a dab after my hair is dry.

4.} Biolage Hair Sunscreen: yeeeeuppp- protecting your hair for the sun should be done daily. I spray two or three sprays of this hair sunscreen on my hair every morning. Oh, & it smells like coconuts.

5.} Shampoo: I mix it up. I don’t want my hair to get used to the same shampoo. Some of my favies: KerastasePaul Mitchell, &/or Extra Volume Moroccanoil shampoo.

6.} Lanza’s Swim & Sun Conditioner: loveeee how there’s sunscreen in it & then twice a month I’ll do Lanza’s deep conditioner treatment. I avoid my roots like the plague with conditioner; it makes them greasy if product gets too close to the scalp.

7.} Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey Perfume: I am obsessed with spraying a light perfume directly on my brush before running it through my hair. I spray the Jo Malone into The Wet Brush to keep my hair smelling fresh & feminine.

8.} Chi Pro Blow Dryer: if I’m forced to spend a daunting hour & half washing/blow drying my locks, I’ll use the Chi Pro. It’s light on the hair & provides less damage than other blow-dryers, so it’s worth the extra $$. Plus. It’s pretty in pink.

9.} Philip B. ‘Maui Wowie’ Beach Mist & Bumble and Bumble’s Surf Spray: for sexy, beachy waves these two products get the job done. I use both together.

10.} Coconut Oil: once a month I add tons of organic coconut oil to my hair, let it stay on for an hour or two, & then rinse it off. <<< This works wonders!!!

P.S. I also stay away from rubber bands with those ugly metal things on them. Goody’s ‘Ouchless’ or sparkly Twistband’s are my fav hair ties ; ). Annnndd when I do use hair spray, it’s Dove: Extra Hold. The travel-sized version is in my purse at.all.times- it smells delish too! As far as straight irons go, they sick me out. Too much heat.

My biggest tip: LESS IS MORE.

Soooo…spillllll: what’s your hair secrets?!

Love.L

{ More hair tips can be found here }

{ Photo source }

Newer comments

64 comments on Messy Hair, Don’t Careeeee — !!! + All of my Weird Hair Tips

1. Regina
    10.18.12 at 4:46 pm (2 years ago)

Have you tried Ameka Oil? I love the smell. I use the shampoo and conditioner. I try to not wash my hair as much, but I am too obsessive about it. I gotta try that brush though! Oh, I also take the Mega Food Baby and Me prenatals for my hair skin and nails. I LOVE them.
    Regina recently posted..Targé KnockoffsMy Profile

• laurynevarts
      10.18.12 at 4:52 pm (2 years ago)

YUM!!! Thanks for the tips doll! LOVE!

2. Amelia
    10.18.12 at 5:23 pm (2 years ago)

I loooove these tips! Now I’m going to have to spend all of my money and buy the products you love.
    I never was my hair either. My friends think I’m disgusting, but I swear that not washing my hair is the reason that it hasn’t fallen out with all of the bleaching and heat it goes through. Dry shampoo and conditioner are what save me.

• laurynevarts
      10.18.12 at 8:24 pm (2 years ago)

LOL. Same boat. I love my rat’s ness ; ). xoxo.

3. Lisa
    10.18.12 at 5:32 pm (2 years ago)

Lauryn!!!!! I’m so glad that you blogged about your amazing hair! I put my hair through so much abuse this year that I just had to chop 5 inches off:( I will definitely be following your hair guidelines;) I love coconut oil, but never thought to use it as a hair masque! Can’t wait to try that..
    You have gorgeous hair, thank you for sharing:):)
    xoxo

• laurynevarts
      10.18.12 at 8:26 pm (2 years ago)

Can you be any sweeter? I wouldn’t say amazing, but thank, thank, thank you!

THANK you for reading ; ). XO.

4. Melody
    10.18.12 at 5:47 pm (2 years ago)

We are similar on a lot of the hair care tricks! However, I bought the tresemme dry and loved it but after about the 4th time I used it the nozzle clogged, even with all my shaking it, and I can’t use it :( Do you have that problem? It’s the only brand I’ve found that does that. Makes me hesitant on buying it again.

• laurynevarts
      10.18.12 at 8:26 pm (2 years ago)

Ahhhh, no I don’t. I would return it the store and get a new one :). I really like it but I am sure there are other amazing brands too! Baby powder works if you’re in a pinch! X.

• Loni
      10.19.12 at 9:37 am (2 years ago)

Melody – it’s happens to me all the time, just take the sprayer nossle off and run it under hot water for a minute or two and it’ll unclog. It just gets stopped up from the shaking and spraying at different angles. Love that stuff, it’s definitely the best dry shampoo for the price!

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 12:59 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the tip, babes!

• laurynevarts
      10.18.12 at 8:08 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks doll! XO.

5. Erica
    10.18.12 at 7:21 pm (2 years ago)

mmm…. I do coconut oil masks and leave it on for the whole night with a shower cap. It’s not a pretty site, but does wonders on my brittle ends! I also use it on my skin at night- works wonders at preventing wrinkles :)

Who washes there hair anyways? I did today and I hate how it looks right after it is washed. Now that they sell dry conditioner, people really will just stop washing there hair all together.

Other tips: only wash the scalp (it’s all you need to clean your hair). I also use one of those claw looking head massagers at night, scalp stimulation promotes hair growth so give yourself a head massage or better- make your man do it for you :)
    Erica recently posted..Insty Love @FashionlushxxMy Profile

• laurynevarts
      10.18.12 at 8:08 pm (2 years ago)

LOVE IT!!! Thanks E ; ).

6. Lisia
    10.18.12 at 9:07 pm (2 years ago)

Doesn’t the coconut oil weight your hair down? If I put oil on my hair and even after rising it out it becomes a mopey mess.

• laurynevarts
      10.18.12 at 9:35 pm (2 years ago)

Nope, a little bit makes it soft. Try using a less & washing it out with shampoo. XO.

7. Justina
    10.18.12 at 11:57 pm (2 years ago)

great! I know what you mean about no washing it, fresh hair is soft and flat so hard to do anything with it! If you like the dry shampoo would recommend volume powder!! That means you can wash it but than you put this shit on and its dirty again! perfect!
    Oh and Moroccan oil is good but its pure argan oil so buy that instead as much cheaper!!!You can also use almond oil!I put mine in a bun, rub that in , leave over the night and wash in the morning(u can put a towel on your pillow to protect it)!
    Justina recently posted..Wear it off shoulderMy Profile

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:11 pm (2 years ago)

LOVE this tip!! Thanks Justina. I’ll buy some pure oil today ; ). And maybe some almond oil too! XO.

8. Heidi kokborg
    10.19.12 at 12:33 am (2 years ago)

Thank for the tips! You have the most beautiful hair – it looks so effortless and all beachy! :)
    Heidi kokborg recently posted..Healthy snack ideasMy Profile

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:10 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Heidi! You’re always the sweetest : )))). XO.

9. Tyra
    10.19.12 at 1:01 am (2 years ago)

I got my hair cut today, and they were actually commenting on how soft my hair is, even though I colour/bleach it all the time. I definitely think that washing it less, and hardly heat styling it is the way to go!

I use O&M products, or Kevin Murphy. I think they might be Aussie brands? Kevin Murphy dry shampoo is incredible!
    Tyra recently posted..1:45:15My Profile

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:10 pm (2 years ago)

Ya, I stay away from straight irons & heat like the plague. Yuccccck. I will try Kevin Murphy!

10. Sarah
    10.19.12 at 1:10 am (2 years ago)

I am absolutely in love with dry shampoo! I grossed out half the people I work with saying I rarely wash it after they gave me a ton of compliments one day! haha! Gotta love freaking people out after they tell you how gorgeous your hair is.

The Purse Snatcher

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:10 pm (2 years ago)

Hahaha I love dry shamps too. It’s amazing! Who has time to wash their hair everyday, anyway??! I am good with twice a week ; ).

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:09 pm (2 years ago)

No worries! Long hair is fun, but it can be a real beast! LOL. My hair always looks wild too ; ).

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:02 pm (2 years ago)

Try going to the beach and getting actual salt water, adding it to a spray bottle with water, and spraying it on your hair after you come out of the shower. Actual salt water does wonders if you’re trying to really attain those beachy waves. XO.

11. Bri
    10.19.12 at 8:40 am (2 years ago)

Can you do a post about the makeup products you love? You always look so stunning and natural. Your skin has that healthy sunkissed glow! Do you have false lashes on in the first pic where you are looking down with your hair in front of your face? Your eyelashes are AMAZING! Which falsies and/or mascara are you using in that pic?

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:20 pm (2 years ago)

Wow! I am flattered- you’re so sweet!

I will do a post on make-up (or maybe a video tutorial if you guys want that instead??).

‘Great Lash Blackest of Black with a curved brush [ found here: http://rstyle.me/di7gbmf5n, ‘Great Lash Clear Primer [ found here: http://rstyle.me/bcxamf5n, & this amazing eye lash curler [ found here: http://rstyle.me/hrhuq4mf5n get the job done! XO.

• Bri
      10.19.12 at 10:05 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for responding! Can’t wait for your makeup video tutorial!
      BTW.. For all the brunettes.. or any of you who can’t stand the white residue from most dry shampoos… I recommend Salon Grafix Invisible Dry Spray Shampoo ($6 from Walmart) it goes on completely clear and it smells really good! I know teasing my hair is bad, but in the rare occasions I do tease my hair I spray the dry shampoo on my roots first and it really helps hold the volume!

• laurynevarts
      10.20.12 at 12:02 am (2 years ago)

Love it!

• Stephko
      10.20.12 at 10:52 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for the tip about dry shampoo for brunettes!!! My hair is dark brown and baby powder/dry shampoo always make my hair look like I’m going gray, ick! Next time I make the 3 hour drive to Walmart, I’ll have to stock up :)

12. Tina
    10.19.12 at 8:41 am (2 years ago)

Where did you get your striped sweater (In photo where you have a ballerina bun.?) Love it!!!

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:06 pm (2 years ago)

Hey Tina! I bought at Urban Outfitters, but they’re out of stock. Almost the exact same one can be found here: http://rstyle.me/ibddaumf5n. Also: I cut the top of sweater so it was off the shoulders. It didn’t come like that. Just cut 1/2 inch off the top and it will look the same as mine. Thanks for reading babes! X.

13. Feli
    10.19.12 at 9:23 am (2 years ago)

Hey Lauryn! I wish I could wash my hair less often, but it gets oily so easily. I have to wash my hair regularly (I’m happy if I’m able to do it every second day), but even when it’s freshly washed it does not look as good as yours. I know it’s really bad for your hair to wash it every day, so I think you washing your hairy 2 or 3 times a week is really good.
    Maybe I’m getting to it when I’m finally out of puberty!

I love your blog and sorry for my rather bad english:)

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 1:00 pm (2 years ago)

Try not using conditioner. Ever. It will make it way less oily. Also don’t touch your hair! Your fingers add oil. : ))) hope that helps doll!

14. Tiffany
    10.19.12 at 10:33 am (2 years ago)

Hey Lauryn, what do you do with your hair after you workout and you’re all sweaty? Do you still just use dry shampoo?

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 12:57 pm (2 years ago)

Dry shampoo, perfume, and a blow dryer. Dry shampoo is the key though!

15. Natalina
    10.19.12 at 2:14 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the tips Miss.L! I love your hair, so yeah any hair tips from you are welcome!! My hair got so dry & damaged after coloring it from black to caramel blond in one, yes ONE, day (sat at the salon for 6 hours!). Maybe these tips will help me to save whats left! hahaha.
    Natalina recently posted..Dear Diary: Busy day todayMy Profile

• laurynevarts
      10.19.12 at 3:23 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Natalina! I would stay away from any type of heat– it’s so bad for your hair. Let it air dry. Good luck babe!!

16. Bri
    10.19.12 at 7:47 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for responding! Can’t wait for your makeup video tutorial! Yay!!

• laurynevarts
      10.20.12 at 12:02 am (2 years ago)

Ahhh! A video tutorial seems so frightening— but for you amazing readers, I’ll do it ; ). XO.

• laurynevarts
      10.20.12 at 1:33 pm (2 years ago)

: ))

9Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Messy Hair, Don’t Careeeee — !!! + All of my Weird Hair Tips

1. [...] Before I sign off ze blog tonight, here’s two other hair tips I forgot to include on my last hair post: [...]

2. [...] Organic coconut oil once a month. I let my hair soak in it. I also do a deep conditioning treatment (with this product) at least twice a month. For more of my hair info, click here. [...]

3. [...] How often should you shampoo your hair [ << uhhh, because I barely wash mine [...]

4. [...] is what Sunday’s ratnest looks like. Sexy? [...]

5. [...] I don’t know where they would go- my hair is normally one big dreadlock!! [...]

6. [...] + Healthy, shiny hair: add some to your shamps & condition. I added four teaspoons to my MoroccanOil shower products. Read more hair tips here. [...]

7. [...] subjects ; ).I mean, since I don’t really wash my hair ( read more on that dirty, lil secret here ), I could probably use some extra tips!Enjoy:Hi babes.It’s me again, Weslie, from [...]

8. Wen Hair | says:

[...] mean, since I don’t really wash my hair ( read more on that dirty, lil secret here ), I could probably use some extra [...]

9. [...] anyone except my close GF’s but…I only wash my hair ONCE a week ( << hmmm. Me too. Best friend secrets! LOL [...]